A vision statement is a statement of a desired outcome that a person hopes to be able to achieve. The purpose of a vision statement is to define in advance what a person wants to happen and what it will be like when they succeed in meeting their goal. Vision statements should be long-term goals that span across several years. Experts recommend vision statements to be made for goals that a person would like to achieve in five to ten years or even longer. When determining a vision statement a person should consider not only the targeted outcome but also the date in which the goal should be achieved.
To focus your thoughts on creating a vision statement, do the following:
- Develop an argument supporting the importance of a strategic plan for the success of the defined business.
- Create a mission statement for the company explaining how the mission will be essential to the companys success.
- Create a vision statement for the company explaining how the vision statement supports the companys mission.
- Establish five (5) key objectives for the company encompassing operational, financial, and human resource aspects of the business and justify why each of these objectives is essential to the success of the business.
- Justify how the five (5) key objectives established support the vision statement of the company as defined in #3.
Vision statements can vary in size. A vision statement can be a brief sentence or it can be a longer more in depth overview of future desired results. Ultimately, the goal is to allow a person to picture the future if they meet the goal. This mental image of the target should act as incentive to continue working towards the goal. A vision statement should be written in the present tense as if the goal has been achieved. It should also be a goal that is inspiring and holds an emotional connection for the person.
Once established, it is important to share the vision statement with others. Periodically it might be necessary to change or update a vision statement based on changes in life circumstances or goals. Since vision statements have a long-term goal it is not necessary to revisit a vision statement on a daily or weekly basis.