Training and Knowledge in Autism
The assignment includes reading a research article provided and then writinpThe assignment includes reading a research article provided and then writing an abstract and critique of this article. The article is entitled "Training and Knowledge in Autism among Speech language pathologists: A survey. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools Vol. 39 66-77 January 2008. A set guideline of questions will be provided in order for the writer to answer/analyze these topics in the paper. The abstract portion of the paper should be no greater than about one page. It should not be a regurgitation of the article. It should be concise and include the salient points of the article. These points should include the research objective/problem, participants, method --vehicle used to arrive at same (The article to be critiqued includes a survey), findings, supporting data and conclusions.
The critique portion of the paper is the most critical part of the paper. A set of questions will be provided for use in the analysis.
Please section the paper as follows: SECTIONS:
- abstract (described above)
- Introduction Section
- Method Section
- DISCUSSION AND CONCLUSIONS
Evaluation Items: Did the:
- TITLE IDENTIFY TARGET POPULATIONS AND VARIABLES UNDER STUDY. The title should identify the general problem area, including the specification of the independent and dependent variables of the target population. The APA Publication Manual states that the "title should summarize the main idea of the paper" and that it should be "fully explanatory when standing alone" becasue a title has two main functions: informs readers about the article and is used as a basis for indexing teh article in the journals index and in various abstracting services adn journals. e.g. This study fully informs the reader about the nature of the study. In x words of the title, the authors have told us that the study is about... The title also clearly states that the research design is longitudinal (not in this one).
PURPOSE, PROCEDURES, IMPORTANT FINDINGS AND IMPLICATIONS WERE SUMMARIZED IN THE ABTRACT.
A CLEAR STATEMENT OF THE GENERAL PROBLEM WAS GIVEN.
THERE WAS A LOGICAL AND CONVINVING RATIONALE
- It is important to discuss if the reasons for doing the study are clearly and explicitly stated and documented with literature citations. e.g. The researcher may cite and attempt to document inadequacy of previous research in the area under investigation, etc.
- THERE WAS A CURRENT ACCURATE AND THOROUGH REVIEW OF THE LITERATURE it is important to discuss if key references have been omitted. It is difficult to judge the thoroughness of the literature review without familiarity with the relevant literature--this can be noted in the paper.
- How recent are the citations? If recent literature on a particular Training and Knowledge in Autism exists it should be cited.
- Whether the review is critical of previous literature and whether the criticism is objective, unbiased and justified. These are not easy questions to answer because they require the reader to refer to the original studies to see of the criticisms were justified.
- Were the literature citations relevant to the purpose and need for the study.