Demographics of New York
A 10 page paper consisting of 2 parts. The paper is to be based on the demographics of the village of Bellmore, New York (located in Long Island) OR (if it is difficult retrieving information on Bellmore)the Chelsea section of Manhattan, New York.
PART 1 of Demographics of New York Research Paper:
- DEMOGRAPHICS OF THE TOWN- Identify the key demographics of the town using the census. Include all major categories. How has the demographics changed over the past 30 years? Is there a particular demographic grouping in the town and how did it come about?
- HISTORY OF THE TOWN- When was the town founded and by whom? How did the town get its name? What particular "group" settled in the town? Does the town have any notable history?
- GEOGRAPHY-Where is the town located? How does the geographic location of the town affect daily living ie. transportation, housing, resources, etc.?
- POLITICAL-Does the town have a political affiliation? Describe the community values,religions.
- HOUSING-Identify the major types of housing in your community.
- LAW ENFORCEMENT-How is law enforcement provided in your town?
- TRANSPORTATION-Describe the public transportation in your community? Is it reliable?
- PUBLIC ASSISTANCE-What arrangements are made for those in the community that need social service assistance?
- HEALTH ACCESS-Describe the clinics and access to health services?(Programs for Medicaid and Medicare recipients, and the doctors and health care providers who will accept these funding sources.)
- ASSOCIATIONS-Describe the civic associations in the town?
PART 2 of the Demographics of New York
Identify a problem unique to the town (ie. if Bellmore, N.Y. is chosen it could be the Mepham High School Scandal, if the Chelsea section of Manhatan is chosen it might be the west side stadium issue)
- How has the community joined together to address this problem?
- Identify in what ways this problem may be divisive the community.
- What forms of communication exist between various groups in the community?
- Discuss the success or the lack of success in problem solving in your town's problem.
How to Write Demographics of New York Research Paper:
- The paper is to be written as if I actually live in the chosen town.
- If it is very difficult to retrieve sufficient information regarding the aforementioned towns (Bellmore N.Y. or the Chelsea section of Manhattan) then other options are available.
- This would include any town or village in Long Island, New York the town of Babylon,Huntington, Hicksville,Hamlet of Oyster Bay, South Hampton, Riverhead, Rockville Centre etc.
- Other possible options could include a section of Queens, New York ie. Flushing, Rockaway, Dougalston, etc. or another section of Manhattan, ie. Yorktown,Gramercy Park etc.