Research for sociology courses use Denise Duhamel's "Sensational Barbie" as a way to look at consumerism and imagery in society. You can learn how to analyze Duhamel's work in a custom written paper from Paper Masters. Our writers explicate the work and apply it to today's society regarding its meaning and message.
Analysis is the activity of separating something into parts and determining how these parts function to create the whole. When you analyze, you examine a text, an object, or a body of data to understand how it is structured or organized and its effectiveness or validity. Most academic writing, thinking, and reading involve analysis.
Learn How To Analyze Literary Texts
- Knowledge of the poems and the literary elements discussed in class (form, music, imagery, figures of speech, etc.)
- An examination of how the poet conveys her message
- Consideration of the speaker's voice, tone and/or persona
- Clear and a correlating thesis-driven structure
- Detailed information to support claims
- Logical progression and organization of thoughts
- Ability to enter into a dialogue with the author of a text (citing from the text, etc.)
- Proof of strong, critical reading and writing skills
Sensational Barbie Research Paper Will Help You to:
- Develop your analytical and critical thinking skills (as applied to both reading and writing).
- Become a more sensitive consumer and user of language, and will teach you about basic critical elements of poetic verse.
- You will learn how voice, form, imagery, and music work together to create a poem's particular "meaning" or message.
- Your goal for this assignment is to write a closed-form essay that offers a detailed interpretation of a poem.
- Your rhetorical purpose is two-fold: you will explain your way of reading the text, and also persuade your readers that your thesis (your interpretation) is valid. To help develop a topic for this essay, you'll keep a reading log. These logs should be brought to every class during this unit.
- Although it is not a requirement of this assignment, you may also want to use research to help you gain a more complete understanding of the texts and their rhetorical analysis.
- Your audience will be your classmates so you can assume that we have read the poems.
- Start with a question about the poem that interests you. From your question, you'll develop your thesis.
- Do not feel that you have to offer the definitive reading of a text, and, please, do not be intimidated by the assignment. Instead, feel free to play with ideas, to engage in dialogue with the poem's author, and to exercise your analytical muscles!
Related Research Paper Topic Suggestions
Affluenza - Research papers on affluenza discuss the term used to suggest an illness or epidemic of consumerism.
Compulsive Buying Disorder - Research papers on compulsive buying disorder discuss the compulsive spending habits of shoppers and what signals their preferences when making material purchases.
Consumerism - Consumerism research papers discuss an ideology that focuses on the social and economic impact of the increased procurement of material goods or services.
Fast Food Workers - Fast Food Workers Research Papers look at the debate over unionization of fast food workers.
Mall of America - Mall of America Research Papers delve into how to write about the mall as a sociological phenomena or an architectual wonder.
Materialism In America - Materialism in America Research Papers deal with how americans are too materialistic.
The Consumption of Products For The Purpose of Gaining Social Status - The Consumption of Products for the Purpose of Gaining Social Status Research Paper delves into an example of an order placed on social status in women, by the brands and items they buy. More Research on this topic at Paper Masters.