English Utopian Fiction
Possible Topics for Critical Research Paper - English Utopian Fiction
Undergraduate students: Choose one of the topics listed.
Format and Research for English Utopia Fiction Research Paper:
- The paper will require researching secondary materials and incorporating them into an analysis of the primary text or texts (e.g. Utopia by Sir Thomas More-Edited with an Introduction by David Harris Sacks, New Atlantis By Francis Bacon, New Blazing World by Margaret Cavendish, Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift).
- MLA Documentation Style, 6th edition, is the required format. Format will be graded.
- Secondary critical materials must originate in academic sources; some of your textbooks provide excellent bibliographies for reference.
- Online sources such as Wikipedia are NOT acceptable for a formal academic critical paper.
Secondary Sources - English Utopia Fiction Research Paper:
- Undergraduates: at least five secondary sources (this does not include the Primary text, though it should be listed on your bibliography or WC page).
- Undergraduate students 8-10 pages ; The page count does not include the bibliography or Works Cited pages, so you should have a minimum of 8 pages (undergraduate) of text.
- For your paper, you may choose to write on a single author or write a comparison-contrast of 2 authors.
- Considering the length of this paper, it would not be conducive to a thorough analysis to write about more than 2 authors.
Topic for Utopia Paper:
Sir Thomas More, Francis Bacon, Margaret Cavendish, Jonathan Swift.
(Please choose two Authors).
- The use of discourse to establish knowledge: theological, analytical-referential
- The government of an ideal society
- The issue of religion in an ideal society - compare/contrast
- The difference of a female-authored utopia
- The approach to warfare and political and social conflict
- Construction of family unit and domestic affairs in the utopian ideal and how it reveals the position of the family in the author's society
- The preservation of the class hierarchy and the purpose it allegedly serves in that society
- The idea of property - communal, individually owned, etc.
- The idea of authorship and its relation to creating new worlds
- The representation of women and/or the construction of gender in the utopian narrative
The total number of Sources is two from the primary and five secondary.
Related Research Paper Topic Suggestions
Walden Two - Walden Two research papers discuss B.F. Skinner's approach to the concept of utopia in society. College research papers can be purchased custom written 24 hours a day from Paper Masters.