Local Government and Finance Research Papers
Often times, the best way to learn about a topic is to write a research paper on it. In the case of a government research project for political science majors, exploring local government forces you to dive into the topic and explore all aspects of local government and how finances affect the operations of local governments. Paper Masters offers topics on local government and finance below and allows you to use them as guides in writing your own research paper. Or, you can have Paper Masters write your project according to any specifications you have.
Research Paper Topic Suggests for Local Government and Finance
- Paper Masters recommends topics on different forecasting techniques for different types of revenues and expenditures.
- Econometric techniques are generally the best option for projecting revenues, particularly those revenue streams that are affected by changes in the local economy. While deterministic techniques are often best suited for projecting expenditures, in practice, local government usually makes extensive use of to other techniques. Select a local government revenue source or expenditure and discuss it in detail.
- What types of data are needed to forecast the revenue stream or expenditure?
- What forecasting techniques are best in your particular situation, and how are forecasts shared with elected officials?
Questions on the Role of Local Governments
The most important fiscal role of local government is to decide on the level and mix of taxes and expenditures that best match the needs and preferences of the local populations. Think about the following questions for your research:
- How can the local government best accomplish this important task?
- What steps should the government take to ensure the optimum level and mix of revenue streams and expenditures?
- What is the role of the public in this task?
- What is the role of the financial manager?
Focus on issues associated with financing capital improvements and issuing bonds, and writer a research paper on the one of the following aspects:
- What types of financing mechanisms have been used to support capital improvements budgets?
- Which capital improvements are funded through pay-as-you-go, or with pay-as-you-use mechanisms?
- What is local government’s recent experience with bonds and which types have been approved?
- Have citizens generally supported bond issues?