Take A Walk In Your Town
Take a walk in your town and pay special attention to the buildings or sculptures around you.
Instructions for Take a Walk in You Town Research Paper:
- Pick one or two that you especially enjoy. If possible, take photos of them with your camera or draw pictures of them.
- Describe what you see in these buildings in detail as you did in the music assignment and marketplace assignment. This is slightly different though; focus specifically on the elements relating to this unit (i.e., architecture, landscaping, sculpture, etc.).
- In a two to three page paper, describe the buildings you chose in detail.
- What purpose do these buildings serve? For example, some are commercial, some are domestic dwellings, some are recreational, and some are for worship.
- What about the building drew you to it?
- Tie some of the ideas from the presentation and the text into your analysis of the specific building. For example, what is the building's relationship to its environment?
- How does its inside relate to its outside?
- What is the architectural significance of the building?
- Is it modern, classical, etc? (Use your readings from the textbook to guide you here.) Relate your work to concepts from previous units if possible.
- Your paper should include a conclusion about the affect of architecture on you personally or professionally. Perhaps you want to consider the architecture of your own office building.
- How does the architecture of your workplace relate to your organization or your attitude about work?
Describes in detail of the building, noting 2 to 3 characteristics in Take a Walk in Your Town Research Paper:
- Describes the purpose
- The architectural significance
- The historical period of the building
- Analyzes the building using the concepts from the readings
- Explains the effect of architecture on him or her personally or professionally